I cannot believe that Spring is well and truly here and even though where I am in the south of England it is still a little cold and drizzly, the flowers, tree blossoms and birds remind me that it is definitely true. So to bring a little Springtime into your life this Ostara, here are a few lovely ways that you can celebrate the lighter days.
- Creating sacred outdoor space is a wonderful way to soak in the energies of Spring. After weeding and clearing up you could decorate a little corner with handcrafted mobiles, painted flower pots, prayer flags, wind chimes, a shrine or altar with offerings of shells, flowers and pebbles for nature spirits or deity. Don’t feel left out if you live in an apartment, just bring nature inside. Windowsills, shelves and counter tops can all be covered with plants, flowers and herbs.
- An obvious one I know, but decorating blown eggs is an inexpensive and fun way to celebrate the Spring Equinox. These can be hung with colourful ribbons from windows or even tree twigs in a vase. Experiment with natural dyes like beetroot, dandelion flowers or onion skin. There are plenty of tutorials on Pinterest for this.
- Continuing with egg shells, a cute way of using broken egg shells is to put a little compost into half an egg shell and plant a bulb or some watercress seeds inside.
- What better way to honour this time of year than to pick up litter from parks or beaches, so as to allow Mother Nature to breath.
- You can continue with the Spring cleaning and decluttering that you began at Imbolc. Let go of everything that is holding you back from being happy, be it on a physical, emotional, mental or spiritual level. Clean with natural products, essential oils and salt even, all blessed with your own positive intentions.
- Once your space is clean, a Spring Home Blessing can be performed by walking around each room, not forgetting those pesky corners, with a smoking herb bundle, ringing a bell and carefully flicking salt water. Then you can say a few words yourself perhaps like,”I bless and protect this space with the love and light of the Goddess.” It doesn’t need to be grande occasion, just something small and simple, but it will really kick stagnant energy out and will fill your space with positively flowing prana.
- Now that we are on the tipping point of having more light, use the waxing solar energy to boost goals and projects.
- You could perhaps make your own Equinox water by filling a glass bowl with spring water and leaving it outside from dawn to midday. This can be used in your home blessing, your Equinox ritual or keep it to revitalize your plants with.
- Perform a ritual for the passing of the dark half of the year. A white candle can be lit to represent the light half of the year and a black candle for the dark half.
- This is the perfect time to do prosperity seed spells because you can use the energy of the germinating seed to fuel a goal of yours that you are wishing to achieve.
- There’s still just enough time to get those bird boxes up. These are a great way to not only give birds a helping hand, but they can be very decorative and brighten up your outside space. Insect hotels can be built easily and inexpensively as well. Your garden will be a real wildlife haven.
- Are you lacking drive? Meditating on the lunar hare is a fabulous way to connect with your inner creativity and fertile passion for life.
- The easiest one of all is of course getting yourself outside, to the park, beach, forest or ancient site. Just to feel the breeze and sun on your face even for 5 minutes can do a magnitude of good for you on all levels.
So here were 13 easy ways to celebrate Spring. I would love to hear how you celebrate the equinox. If you want to ask me any questions about what I have written or anything to do with holistic living, green witchcraft or paganism, then don’t hesitate to contact me. I am more than happy to answer your questions.